Community Music School offers private instrumental and vocal lessons for beginner through advanced level students at both our Trappe and Pottstown locations. Students have the option of enrolling in one of three programs of instruction; General Music Instruction, Music Certificate or Honors Certificate. Each program provides for developing musicians at different levels of achievement and offers a combination of group classes and individual lessons as a whole package.
New students may register for lessons at any time.
Private Instrumental & Vocal Lessons
* Suzuki Instruction Available
+ Adapted Lessons Available
General Music Instruction
This program is most suited for beginning level students (up to two years of study) or for adult students. Advancing students may consider enrolling in one of CMS’s certificate programs.
Tuition is billed on a quarterly basis with 9 to 10-lessons in each quarter September through June. There is a 6-week summer session offered as well. Students may enroll at any time during a quarter and will be pro-rated for the remaining lessons in that particular quarter.
Tuition for students enrolled in the General Instruction Program includes:
- Weekly private lessons
- Rehearsals and performances with a professional accompanist
- Student recitals
- Access to the CMS music library
- Written progress report at the end of the year
- 20% discount on any additional class/ensemble
2018-2019 Lesson Rates:
- Multiple Lessons Discount: First lesson is billed at the regular/Master rate and each additional private lesson receives a 5% discount (discount is taken off the lesser priced lesson).
- Other discounts apply for siblings, ensembles, music theory- please contact Registrar for details
The Interview Lesson
New students are encouraged to sign up for an interview lessons with a CMS teacher. During the 30-minute interview lesson students and parents will have a chance to meet the instructor, ask questions and get a sense of what will take place in lessons each week. The cost for a 30-minute interview lesson is billed at the prevailing rate. Contact our Registrar to set up an interview lesson today: firstname.lastname@example.org or (610) 489-3676
CMS has a limited supply of rental instruments with availability on a first-come-first-serve basis. Students are responsible for maintenance of instruments (e.g., string and reed replacement, cleaning) and any repair costs due to damage. Rental fees vary. Please inquire at the front desk or contact email@example.com for availability and pricing.
Piano/Keyboard Requirements & Recommendations
The CMS piano faculty recommends that piano students have regular access to a standard acoustic piano, one that is well maintained and tuned regularly. CMS often receives notice of pianos for sale in the area. Families can check the bulletin boards in the lobby areas for notices. For families of beginning piano students that are unable to afford an acoustic piano or already own a digital piano, their digital piano should meet the following minimum specifications:
- Piano keyboard should have 88 keys with graded action to reproduce the key weight and dynamic range of an acoustic piano.
- Voicing should contain the “Grand Piano” setting and be stereo sampled.
- Keyboard should have an ample stand to allow a proper sitting position and have functioning pedals to offer the damper and una corda (soft pedal) options.
- Parents should make plans to acquire an acoustic piano within one to two years of the student’s initiation of piano study at CMS.